Add to favourites
News Local and Global in your language
19th of October 2018

International



US reaches agreement over separated migrant families

By: Reuters | Washington | Published: September 13, 2018 7:33:11 pm Despite Trump order, border child separations could go on: legal experts People participate in a protest against recent US immigration policy of separating children from their families when they enter the United States as undocumented immigrants, in front of a Homeland Security facility in Elizabeth, NJ, US June 17, 2018. (Reuters)

The Trump administration has reached a settlement over the separation of migrant children and their parents at the US border, allowing some individuals to apply for asylum in the United States, according to court documents.

Under the plan, filed late Wednesday, the administration said that while it did not plan to return any parents who have already been deported, the government would consider individual cases where that may be warranted.

The agreement, which must be approved by the federal judge in the case, stems from US President Donald Trump’s “zero-tolerance” immigration policy earlier this year that left thousands of children in detention facilities and separated from their parents, sparking widespread condemnation.

If approved, the settlement would mark a significant step in resolving the lawsuit brought by American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) on behalf of separated families.

In early May Trump had sought to prosecute all adults crossing the border without authorization, including those travelling with children, but ended the family separations the next month.

The administration has said more than 2,300 migrant children were separated from their parents. On Wednesday, the New York Times reported that the overall number of detained migrant children reached a total of 12,800 this month, citing data obtained from members of Congress. Most of those children crossed the border alone, without their parents, the newspaper reported.

It was not immediately clear how many asylum seekers the agreement would affect.

Migrants who choose not to agree to the settlement would be “promptly removed to their country of origin,” according to the agreement put before US District Judge Dana Sabraw in San Diego.

The ACLU filed the suit on behalf of a mother and her 6-year-old daughter, who had fled the Democratic Republic of Congo over religious persecution and were separated after entering the United States to seek asylum.

The case is Ms. L et al v US Immigration and Customs Enforcement et al, US District Court, Southern District of California, No. 18-00428.

Tags: donald trump

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App

Read More




Leave A Comment

More News

Reuters: World News

World News Headlines, Latest

Moneycontrol World News

NDTV News - World-news

World News, International

World – The Daily Caller

Disclaimer and Notice:WorldProNews.com is not the owner of these news or any information published on this site.